Having purchased a run-down 1920’s brick warehouse in the heart of Cremorne we set about imagining how it could be converted to become the new home of Idle Architecture Studio. Despite its obvious potential it had sat unloved for many years and was in need of some major work. Where to start? We installed a mezzanine level, inserted a light well, re-roofed the entire building and re-aligned the beautiful timber trusses that run the full length on the site. While retaining its essential character the old warehouse took on a new lease of life as a light-filled, open-plan office. The existing brick-work and block-work, original timber roof-trusses and various other original details were retained and restored. Where new elements were inserted we ensured that they were complimentary to the original materials – textural, rich yet understated. Large feature windows provide priceless snapshots of this historic precinct as well as allowing natural light to enter into what was an originally deep and dark space. A happy story of urban renewal!